Trade Finance Lawyer
We are recruiting a dynamic banking/trade finance lawyer to join our legal team as a permanent member of staff. The candidate will report directly to the General Counsel in Switzerland.
- Advising on, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating all aspects of the financing of the Group’s physical commodity transactions, including but not limited to bilateral loans, borrowing base facilities, revolving credit facilities, repos and stock-lending arrangements, receivables financing (including invoice discounting), letters of credit, pre-export finance and export credit financings.
- Advising on, independently drafting, and amending all banking and security documentation across the Group, including but not limited to working capital lines, margin loans, bridge facilities, intercreditor agreements, multi-jurisdictional security documentation, OTC financially settled transactions, ISDAs, broker agreements, TPAs, parent company guarantees, performance bonds, etc.
- Advising on and drafting various documentation in support of the financing arrangements on an intra-group basis, such as shareholder loans, intercompany loans, shareholder agreements, etc.
- Providing legal advice and support with respect to the Group’s wider corporate activity with project finance, preparing private placements, capital markets transactions, M&A transactions, and any monetization transactions.
- Advising on obtaining and maintaining European gas and power licenses.
- Reviewing and advising on commodity offtake contracts, EFETs, etc.
- Selecting and effectively managing local counsel and tax advisors and reviewing and optimizing cross-border tax structures.
- Assessing, reporting on, and mitigating legal risks and regulatory issues arising in the course of negotiating and executing the various financing transactions for the Group.
- Preparing and updating inhouse templates.
- Drafting, reviewing, and negotiating mandate letters.
- Working closely with the General Counsel, as well as other departments such as Finance, Accounting, Treasury, Risk, Credit, Compliance, and front office.
- Carrying out other functions performed on behalf of the Legal Department as and when required, such as review of Non-Disclosure Agreements, service agreements, term sheets, conducting due diligence investigations, etc.
Qualifications / experience:
- Qualified in England and Wales or another comparable commonwealth jurisdiction.
- 5 - 8 years’ PQE in the UK or another equivalent common law jurisdiction.
- Significant experience at a leading international law firm with a focus on trade finance.
- Extensive experience in drafting a wide range of finance and corporate documents.
- In-house experience and proven ability to operate within multi-national teams.
- Commercial awareness of the latest market issues and regulatory changes.
- Bonus experience would be (i) overseas experience and (ii) any knowledge of applicable UK, EU and Swiss commodity market regulations.
- Fluent English, proficiency in German and preferably French as well
- Strong general legal skills: drafting, negotiation, issue spotting and problem solving
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written & verbal
- Ability to quickly build effective and positive client relationships (internal and external)
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to deal with daily legal issues independently
- Strong project management skills
- Team player
- Proactive, enthusiastic, and self-motivated
- Pragmatic, curious and commercially minded
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- Strong decision-making skills, with the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- Ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- A diverse and inclusive cultural vision
Although the role is based in Switzerland, this is part of an integrated global legal team, and therefore the ability to work effectively with the other members of the team in different locations is a core requirement.
If this sounds an interesting opportunity for you, please apply directly here.